This is what I do when I am at home on a rare day off and I want cake. Granted, most of the time I just sit here and whine, but tonight I was feeling adventurous. I have been watching RuPaul’s Drag Race all afternoon on Netflix and it inspired me to bake. I didn’t feel like putting on a whole face of drag style makeup, which is what I usually do while watching this show, so baking won.
I am super excited about the way the buttercream icing turned out. I happened to have some butter in my fridge so I was able to make it. I used this recipe. I tried making it before, but it was grainy. The combination of the right attachment and my Kitchen Aid mixer made all the difference.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a large bowl, combine vinegar and almond milk and whisk. Let it sit for 5 minutes so it can curdle.
2. After five minutes, add the rest of the wet ingredients to the bowl and whisk them all together.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Be sure to sift the flour first and then the cocoa powder. Sifting the cocoa powder is essential to avoid having baked in balls of undissolved cocoa. If you don’t have a sifter, use a mesh sieve.
4. Be sure to line your muffin tin with cup cake liners before proceeding.
5. If you have a kitchen top mixer, Mix the wet and dry ingredients on 3 speed for about 4 minutes until it’s combined and pretty smooth. If not, mix it by hand adding the wet ingredients in two batches.
6. Fill the liners about 1/2 – 3/4 of the way full. If you over fill them, they will bake up to look like muffins. For the butter cream icing topping, you want them to be pretty flat on the top.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.