I am a sucker for a good banana bread. Sadly, most banana bread is not Nina-Friendly. Honestly, neither is this one. I made this bread for my mom because she wasn’t feeling well and I like to think it made her feel a bit better.
I didn’t use any added sugar. It is vegan and gluten free because I used a gluten-free baking mix. There aren’t any nuts in it because I am pretty sure I am allergic to nuts. It is also soy-free. (Again with the allergies) I used rice milk instead. Please feel free to substitute where necessary.
I pulled a Nigella Lawson with this bread because I used my food processor to mix all the wet ingredients. It would have been in true Nigella style if I had a massive food processor like her. All things in time, I suppose. Enjoy!
1 package of Gluten Free Pantry Old Fashioned Cake & Cookie Mix
2 ripe bananas
½ cup of Canola oil
2 tablespoons flax-seed + 6 tablespoons of water (or 2 eggs)
1 tsp of vanilla extract
½ tablespoon of cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
½ cup of rice milk (or soy milk or water)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two loaf pans with canola oil.
2. Empty contents of package into a mixing bowl. Add the cinnamon and the cloves.
3. In a food processor, blend the bananas, canola oil, vanilla, rice milk, and flaxseed mixture.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. I used setting 3 on my KitchenAid mixer and mixed for about 3 minutes.
5. Divide better into the two loaf pans. Bake for 38 minutes or until a knife poked in the center comes out clean.
Note: The directions on the package say to bake for 28 minutes. I checked mine after 28 minutes and the center was raw. 10 additional minutes did the trick for me. I’d advise you to check your beautiful bread after 28 to see if it needs more time like mine did.