The title of this post some from a darling friend of mine who bravely admitted that she has checked out the blog but doesn’t have a “fucking clue” what she’s doing in the kitchen. She proceeded to ask me how to warm up a doggie bag from the previous night’s restaurant dinner. “Hun, just put it [in a pot, preferably with a lid] in the oven [preheated to 350 degrees] for a few [5-10] minutes” Notice how much I forgot to include until her questions prompted me for more details??
Some of us who are naturals in the kitchen forget how much we leave out. So for the next few weeks, I’m going to do a few posts on the basics: omelets, boiling veggies, al dente pasta, a few (locally or sustainable) meat options. Want to learn something but were too afraid to ask? Send me a message (make it anonymous if you must!!) and I’ll tackle your fears! I’ll stop short of pouring a bowl of Rice Crispies because if you can’t handle that, well, I pity you!!
Egg in a basket (serves 1)
2 slices of bread (white, wheat, rye, whatever you like)
1-2 TB butter (depending on taste)
ketchup, hot sauce , grape jelly, etc (all optional)
1. In a non-stick frying pan, put 1 TB (tablespoon) of butter. If you like a rich taste, use 2 TB of butter. Turn on range to medium heat. Let butter melt while you move to Step #2.
2. Take the two slices of bread and make a hole in the middle of them. I used a glass to be fancy, but you really can just pull it out with your hands.
3. Add the “holed out” bread to the pan once the butter is melted. You want to brown one side for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4. Crack one egg into each slice of bread. Use the timer on your stove or microwave and set for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
5. After 1 minute and 30 seconds has passed, use a spatula to flip the bread over. If you are scared because you’ve “killed” fried eggs, fear not. The bread makes this baby sturdy and you should be fine.
6. Cook for 30 seconds (running yolks) to 1 minute (solid yolks) more. And that’s it! You are done! Use the spatula to put them on a plate and enjoy!!